Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Review: The Deep End

Title : The Deep End
Series : Honey #1
Author : Kristen Ashley
ASIN : B01G1J7WFO
Edition : Kindle (Released March 7th, 2017)
Publisher : St. Martin's Griffin
Page counts : 454 pages
Language : English
Genre : Adult, Erotic Romance, Contemporary, BDSM
Average Rating : 3.72 (per March 15th, 2017)
Hotness Scale : 4.5/5
Read date : March 12th, 2017
Add to Goodreads

BLURB:   
Enter a decadent sensual world where gorgeous alpha males are pleasure slaves committed to fulfilling a woman's every desire. At the elite Honey club, no boundary will be left untested, and one's darkest desires will become a sensual reality.

Olivier isn’t sure what he’s gotten himself into when he joins the Honey Club, only that a dark part of him craves the lifestyle offered by this secret, exclusive club.

When Amèlie invites Olivier to surrender, she pushes him to explore his deepest desires as a submissive. As they grow closer and find themselves falling harder than either of them anticipated, the truth about Olivier’s past could threaten the budding relationship they both long for.

Gripping and seductive, The Deep End is the first book in a sensational new series from bestselling author Kristen Ashley.

At first, I read this book without 'consulting' a few of my favorite reviewers. But since this is Kristen Ashley, I trooped through and read it anyway. Despite a few times that my face felt like combusting, it was fine. What wasn't fine for me? I felt like I lost a bit of what Kristen makes her books so...her. And then I read the reviews. DNF everywhere. I know where it went wrong, but I'm such a trooper (I know, I know) and I gave it five stars initially. I reread it and I lost the one star...

It was not champagne she was looking for. It was that coveted, priceless, smooth, deep, incomparable burn of the finest scotch whisky.


Admittedly, the story is pretty great. Who wouldn't be intrigued with an alpha-sub male? I did. I got too used with KA's alpha males. I needed to wrap my head around an... alpha female. Amelie Strand is one of the best and most coveted Mistresses in the BDSM club Honey. I admit that I don't read many BDSM books, but I gotta say KA covered a lot in the BDSM area in this book. So, back to Amelie. She was getting bored, and she wants some challenges. She definitely feels challenged when this six-plus-many beast named Olivier Hawkes comes to the club, and willing to play with her. The plays are so great, the chemistry very palpable, the sex mindblowing. Nothing's wrong in Amelie's world but for Olly, since he's still pretty untrained, he has issues. Not to mention that he's as blue collar as he gets, while Amelie is a rich woman.

He's so attuned to me, so connected to me, I'm honestly not certain I could push him too hard.

Let's see. Amelie is a cultured, refined woman. But dear Lord, the proses. The narrative on her end. Sometimes I got too impatient and bored, I skipped to the raunchy bits. It's so unlike KA, the sometimes-exaggerating phrases and too-long paragraphs. I actually liked Olly and his courage of facing what he needs--and not too embarrassed to seek it. His temper, though. Amelie? She's okay, I guess.

And then I felt like I'm losing the story. I gotta go back a few times to see what I missed--no joke. I thought there was something wrong with me. But nope. I got sidetracked by Amelie's flowery narrative and I lost my thread. Pfft.

As I said, KA covered a lot of BDSM aspects in this book, and I actually liked the plot (when I was not losing it). I also liked it when Amelie and Olly play. The Deep End is still one of the steamiest books I've read so far, though I think it's still pretty mainstream in terms of BDSM. But well, I don't read many so The Deep End felt okay.

Overall, The Deep End might not be my top favorite (hi, Raid! hi, Knight!). If not for Amelie, I think I can keep the five stars. Still, I'll read the second book in this series.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments :)
Any comment is welcome! Spams, commercials, and offensive comments will be deleted promptly.

Thank you for visiting~~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...